Sunday, June 8, 2008

Run Ducky Run!

I have been meaning to get into running for most of my life now. The puppy and I get "Runners World" magazines and I love reading about running so I decided it was time to do something about wanting to run. I read that sometimes you need to schedule a race before you even start training in order to give yourself the motivation to start training. Well Puppy and I have planned on doing the Medved 10 Ugly Men 5k Race: http://www.medvedrunwalk.com/events.asp?action=view&ID=68

The first thing I did was go to Fleet Feet Rochester: http://www.fleetfeetrochester.com/

They measured my feet and suggested some running sneakers. They had me try them on and they watched me walk on a treadmill to make sure they worked for my feet. This was a very pleasurable experience. The staff was helpful, they asked questions, and really tailored the experience to my needs. As a larger runner I was worried that their would be a hint of skepticism in their assistance but their was none. I got home with my new Asics and hopped online certain I would find them cheaper but I was pleasantly surprised to realize I got a better deal (when you account for shipping fees) at Fleet Feet than I could find online. I also impulse purchased 2 pairs of Balega wool running socks for $18 total for 2 pair. I love these socks. They keep my feet cool in 90+ degree weather.

To start training I downloaded "Couch to 5k" running podcasts

Program info: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Podcasts: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page6/page6.html

From Roberts site: "When I decided it was time to get back in shape I looked around at the options, I found the "Couch to 5K" program at coolrunning.com. The only problem with the plan was that every week had a different running schedule. To help, I developed these podcasts to help with all the different pace changes. I hope you like them."

And I do like them. He tells you what to do (running/walking/warm-up/cool-down) and when and for how long. Tie that in with some peppy music and you have a running success story. I have only completed the first week but its really fun to do it with the pod casts. I am certainly a beginning runner. I still weight quite a bit at 266 pounds (down from 357) and I found that I was able to keep up with the program in the first week. My plan is to keep advancing week to week and if I reach a point that I can't run all the running parts I will go back a week until I can progress. I think the big thing that will make me successful this time is not starting out too quickly and getting burned out.

I am also following a 5k training schedule I found in "Runners World" that consists of 5k training 3 days a week on alternating days, 3 days a week of cross training (I like geocaching, swimming, and biking), and one day off. I plan to eventually add in strength training but I am also trying to make lasting changes by adding things slowly and making them habits before adding new things.

Signed happily: A running Duck

No comments: